Conducting a Job Search
An undergraduate psychology degree provides you with some flexibility when selecting a career. The knowledge of how people think, develop, and behave, as well as the interpersonal skills gained from a BA in psychology may lead to work in the field, but also prepares you well for careers in the fields of public service, marketing, or management, among others. Because most professional careers in psychology require further education, those who do not wish to pursue graduate degrees may need to broaden the scope of careers they are willing to consider.
In M1 Assignment 2, you explored your career interests and identified three careers that seemed best suited for you. In this assignment, you will conduct a mock job search and report your findings using the “Job Search Data Bank” form.
Mock Job Search
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Select one of the three careers you identified and discussed in M1 Assignment 2 and conduct a job search for actual openings in your area. If you are willing to eventually relocate, you may choose openings elsewhere as well. You may choose to use at least one source or all of the following sources to find available positions in your chosen career of interest:
- Local newspaper ads (online or printed editions)
- Networking websites such as LinkedIn
- Networking with colleagues, peers, or other contacts
- Your state employment office
- Listings on professional organizations’ websites
Refer to the Job Resources document to find additional online sources relating to online job searches.
Job Search Data Bank
Download and review a copy of the Job Search Data Bank template. Provide the results of the mock job search you completed for this assignment by filling out the table in the template.
- Begin by summarizing your career interests. Briefly describe what you concluded from Module 1 about the types of positions best suited to your career interests. For example, if you are most interested in a career as a psychologist, would you prefer to pursue a position in a clinic, a private practice, or a nonprofit organization? Would you prefer to specialize in working with children? Do you hope to have a research or teaching position instead?
- List at least four positions you found during your job search. These four positions should match the interests you identified in Module 1.
- Describe each position fully, providing as much of the available information as possible from the ads. Copy the ads and paste them into the table.
- For each identified job opening, indicate the likelihood of your being eligible for the position upon graduating from college with a bachelor’s degree.
- If you would be ineligible, specify what additional training or education you would require to qualify for the position.
- Indicate whether you are willing to pursue that additional training or education.
- Describe the amount of time, the cost, and other resources you think you would need to invest to become qualified.
- Put the information in your own words. Place quotation marks around the portions you have quoted from the ads. Cite your sources using APA style in-text citations and a reference list in APA style below your table in the “Job Search Data Bank” template provided.
M1 Assignment 2: Discussion
The results from the six interest profiles were as follows:
- Realistic 19
- Investigative 30
- Artistic 15
- Social 30
- Enterprising 37
- Convectional 36
I have an interest of enterprising jobs and this may include the selling of new merchandise or also the development of new products for use by the public. I believe that enterprising jobs are very profitable, in this case there is no fixed salary and the salary mainly depends on the product being sold. Moreover, there are no special skills needed or any specific knowledge. However, one should be able to produce goods or services that reflect a specific market. Additionally, I also find social work interesting since one can be able to work with different people and also one can be able to work under different situations. Social works requires one to be able to interact with people and be willing to work on different aspects; additionally, one is also required to have a degree from on social courses from the university. The expected payment depends on type of the type of project and thus the wages are not defined specifically(Mynextmove.org. 2018). There are several questions that I have concerning the two job profiles that I have an interest on:
- Are social jobs rewarding, that is do they fetch a lot of income?
- What is the future of enterprising?
Mynextmove.org. (2018). O*NET Interest Profiler at My Next Move. [online] Available at: https://www.mynextmove.org/explore/ip [Accessed 28 May 2018].