Prior to beginning work on this discussion, be sure to read the required articles for this week.
You are a consulting psychologist for a local clinic and have been asked to follow up on a consultation you completed four years ago. There are current developments in this case that require further consideration. Please review the PSY699 Week Five discussion case file (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. or detailed information on the current case under review.
In your initial post, explain how the APA Ethical Principles and Code of Conduct can be used to guide decisions in this ethically complex situation. Provide a suggested course of action for the clinic staff. Given the daughter’s age and the situation presented, integrate concepts developed from different psychological content domains to support your suggested course of action. Be certain to use evidence-based psychological concepts and theories to support your arguments. You may wish to consider the following questions as you construct your post.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Should the staff encourage the daughter to inform her mother that she is sexually active?
- Would knowledge regarding her daughter’s sexual activity influence the mother’s stance regarding disclosure?
- Should the staff break confidentiality and inform the mother that her daughter is sexually active?
- Should the staff encourage the mother to inform the daughter of both her and her daughter’s HIV status?
- Does the daughter’s boyfriend have any rights in this situation? If so, what are they?
- Based on the daughter’s age, does the mother have a right to not disclose the diagnosis to her daughter?
- Does the mother have a right to the privacy regarding her own diagnosis, which could be threatened if her daughter learns of her own status?
- Are there other approaches the staff can take? If so, what are they?
- Is further information required in order for you to create an ethically sound suggested course of action?
References are attached as well as articles and case studies. Two pages long APA format.
Clum, G. A., Czaplicki, L., Andrinopoulos, K., Hamvas, L., & Ellen, J. M. (2013). Strategies and outcomes of HIV status disclosure in HIV-positive young women with abuse histories. AIDS Patient Care and STDs, 27(3),191-200. doi: 10.1089/apc.2012.0441
Gillard, A., & Roark, M. F. (2013). Older adolescents’ self-determined motivations to disclose their HIV status. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 22(5), 672-683. doi: 10.1007/s10826-012-9620-2
Herron, T., & Klein, E. (2014). PSY699 Week Five discussion case file (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. [PDF]. College of Health, Human Services, and Science. Ashford University: San Diego, CA.
Horvath, K. J., Weinmeyer, R., & Rosser, S. (2011). Should it be illegal for HIV-positive persons to have unprotected sex without disclosure? An examination of attitudes among US men who have sex with men and the impact of state law. AIDS Care, 22(10), 1221-1228. Retrieved from http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/caic20/current
Leonard, A. D., Markham, C. M., Bui, T., Shegog, R., & Paul, M. E. (2010). Lowering the risk of secondary HIV transmission: Insights from HIV-positive youth and health care providers. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 42(2),110-116. doi: 10.1363/4211010
Obermeyer, C. M., Baijal, P., & Pegurri, E. (2011). Facilitating HIV disclosure across diverse settings: A review. American Journal ofPublic Health, 101(6), 1011–1023. doi: 10.2105/ajph.2010.300102.