Healthy People Initiative, assignment help
As the school nurse working in a college health clinic, you see many opportunities to promote health. Maria is a 40-year-old Hispanic who is in her second year of nursing school. She complains of a 14-pound weight gain since starting school and is afraid of what this will do to both her appearance and health if the trend continues. After conducting her history, you learn that she is an excellent cook and she and her family love to eat foods that reflect their Hispanic heritage. She is married with two school-age children. She attends class a total of 15 hours per week, plus she must be present for 12 hours of labs and clinical. She maintains the household essentially by herself and does all the shopping, cooking, cleaning, and chauffeuring of the children. She states that she is lucky to get 6 hours of sleep per night, but that is okay with her. She lives 1 hour from campus and commutes each day. Using Healthy People 2020 and your text as a guide, answer the following questions.
- What additional information would you like to gather from Maria?
- What are Maria’s real and potential health risks?
- Why is Maria’s culture important when obtaining the health assessment?
- Pick one of Maria’s health risks. What would be one reasonable short-term goal for this risk?
- What nursing interventions would you incorporate into Maria’s plan of care to assist her with meeting your chosen goal? Please provide rationale for your selections.
As you prepare to respond to this scenario, begin by reading the online lesson. Also, be sure to review Chapter 2 – Wellness and Health Promotion, and the information on Healthy People 2020.Healthy People 2020 identifies specific topic areas and recommendations for preventing disease and health promotion. Using Healthy People 2020 as a guide, answer the three questions that follow the scenario listed above. I am anxious to read your thoughts and ideas!
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Please begin your reading with the online lesson and the assigned readings from your text.
The URL to the Healthy People 2020 website is http://www.healthypeople.gov/hp2020/Objectives/Top… and it is also available in the Webliography section of this course.There are many strategies and cultural implications that must be assessed and utilized to provide individualized care to promote positive outcomes for health promotion. Acquiring advanced knowledge of the numerous impacts of care as we discussed in the lecture such as culture, nature of behavior, motivators, biological factors, personality and inner motivation, peers/social structure, community environment, society in general will facilitate critical analysis and holistic approach to patient care in the scenario provided.I would like to suggest you focus your answer on one of the patient’s health problems in your initial post. First, post the additional information that you would need to obtain from the patient. Be specific in the areas that you would address and the questions that you would ask.The second and third parts of the question ask you to evaluate health risks that Maria may have with the inclusion of cultural importance when obtaining the health history. Using Healthy People as a guide, identify risks that could be associated with her age, lifestyle or genetics.To finish your response, identify Maria’s problem classification and formulate one reasonable short term goal integrating the risk you previously identified. This goal must be specific, time oriented, measurable and achievable. Please make sure that the questions you ask in your history and the short-term goal are related to the particular health risk you identify. You will be graded on this.Your first post of the week needs to address all of these issues on one of the patient’s health risks. You will have the opportunity to discuss other issues that you see that the patient has in your responses to your fellow classmates posts.This discussion is related to the following Course Outcomes:
- Utilize prior knowledge of theories and principles of nursing and related disciplines to explain expected client behaviors while differentiating between normal findings, variations, and abnormalities. (PO #1)
- Explore the professional responsibilities involved in conducting a comprehensive health assessment and providing appropriate documentation. (PO #6)
- Identify teaching/learning needs from the health history of an individual. (PO #2)
- Recognize the influence that developmental stages have on physical, psychosocial, cultural, and spiritual functioning. (PO #1)