You are the Director of Mental Health Halfway House which deals drug addicts with brain disorders that have found their way into the criminal justice system. The patients in this program were diverted from incarceration into prison because a clear link was established between the drug offenses they committed and their mental illness. Mental illness is often a reason for the individual to turn to substance abuse. The majority of your inmate/patient population requires medication to maintain a semblance of social function and to be allowed to leave the facility to work and see family members. You must continually evaluate the participants of the program utilizing the Axis criteria and the patient evaluation from the Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF) Scale (DSM-IV, 1994, p. 32). The GAF is broken into ten groups from 0 to 100. A person in the category from 91-100 would be perfect mentally. This is not normally found with anyone. The person found in the category of 0-10 which is the opposite would be a persistent danger to everyone around them including themselves. They would be completely dysfunctional socially and unable to work. As the director you are required to use the GAF to monthly evaluate the ability of your charges to remain in the program.
The persons in this program must have successfully completed detoxification for the drugs they were abusing.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
In addition to your required evaluations you have a pharmacy on site. The pharmacy issues and requires the participants to take the medication in front of health service professionals so that the medication prescribed is actually being used and not sold or thrown away.
For participants suffering from schizophrenia the drugs used are classed as antipsychotic drugs.
For those being treated for depression; antidepressants are used also known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).
A common illness amongst inmates is Bi-polar Disorder. This is treated with mood stabilizers which were originally developed to treat convulsions. For Bi-polar Disorder antipsychotic and antidepressants may also be used.
Anxiety disorders are also common mental health concerns with inmate/patients. These include many commonly known mental health problems like; Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), Panic disorder, and Social phobia. For treatment of such disorders the most common drugs are antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, and beta-blockers.
In a 10-12 page position paper the student will write up the problem they observed in the scenario. They will answer the questions below. It is critical that when you make a statement of fact in your presentation that you cite the reference you obtained the information from in the text of the paper and that the reference is included in your reference page. As always your paper will be submitted in the APA format current edition. No abstract is required as this is a short position paper but a title page, reference page, and appropriate running header with page numbers are necessary.
- What level of inmate patient are you prepared to take into the program based on the five Axis of the DSM-IV and the associated GAF criteria for identifying function? Justify your reasoning.
- What are the main categories of mental illness that can be treated by pharmaceuticals?
- By category of illness what corresponding type of drug should or could be prescribed to treat those illnesses?
- What are the side effects of the drugs you indicated in your report?
- How do you plan to convince the participants that they must maintain their drug treatment after they leave the program you are in charge of?
- How will these treatments allow the patient/inmate to reintegrate into family, social setting, work setting, and keep them from re-offending?
- What are the associated dangers of putting a person in a drug therapy program where they had previous chemical addictions?
10-12 pages APA format with references as stated above