Discussion: Special Topics in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Many children face special issues that impact everyday life, whether it is within themselves, their families, or their environment. Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) must be sensitive to these many issues that children and adolescents are faced with during important developmental years.
In this Discussion, you select a special population and analyze the psychological issues that the population faces. You also address the assessment and treatment needs of the population.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
To Prepare for the Discussion:
· Review the Learning Resources.
· Select one of the following topics for the Discussion:
o Foster care
o Gender dysphoria
o Forensic issues
o Impact of terrorism on children
· Write your selected disorder in the subject line of your Discussion post.
· Explain the psychological issues that may result from your topic.
· Describe the most effective assessment measure that could be used, and explain
why you selected this.
· Explain the treatment options available for children and adolescents involved
with your selected disorder.
· Explain how culture may influence treatment.
Sadock, B. J., Sadock, V. A., & Ruiz, P. (2014). Kaplan & Sadock’s synopsis of psychiatry: Behavioral sciences/clinical psychiatry (11th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer.
- Chapter 31, “Child Psychiatry” (pp. 1279–1323)
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
- “Somatic Symptom and Related Disorders”
- “Other Conditions That May Be a Focus of Clinical Attention”
- “Assessment Measures”
- “Cultural Formulation”
American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP). (2011). Practice parameter for child and adolescent forensic evaluations. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 50(12), 1299-1312. Retrieved from http://www.jaacap.com/article/S0890-8567(11)00883-5/pdf
American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP). (2012c). Practice parameter on gay, lesbian, or bisexual sexual orientation, gender nonconformity, and gender discordance in children and adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 51(9), 957–974. Retrieved from http://www.jaacap.com/article/S0890-8567(12)00500-X/pdf
Lee, T., Fouras, G., & Brown, R. (2015). Practice parameter for the assessment and management of youth involved with the child welfare system. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 54(6), 502–517. Retrieved from http://www.jaacap.com/article/S0890-8567(15)00148-3/pdf
Human Rights Campaign. (n.d.). Growing up LGBT in America. Retrieved June 8, 2017, from http://assets.hrc.org//files/assets/resources/Growing-Up-LGBT-in-America_Report.pdf?_ga=1.83582870.1279387255.1493224749
Thapar, A., Pine, D. S., Leckman, J. F., Scott, S., Snowling, M. J., & Taylor, E. A. (2015). Rutter’s child and adolescent psychiatry (6th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley Blackwell.
- Chapter 19, “Legal Issues in the Care and Treatment of Children With Mental Health Disorders” (pp. 239–249)
- Chapter 49, “Forensic Psychology” (pp. 636–647)