Categorical Perception: Identification and Discrimination
Across the United States and the world, people speak English with many different accents. How is it that we can understand what is being said whether one speaks with a Southern “drawl,” a New England “clip,” or a Western “twang?” Categorical perception may be one of the ways that our perceptual processes help us understand words spoken with different accents.
Access the following CogLab demonstrations and follow the instructions to complete both demonstrations (these are listed under the Speech & Language tab).
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Categorical Perception: Identification
- Categorical Perception: Discrimination
Using the textbook and module readings, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, research the effect of training on one’s ability to make perceptual discriminations.
Based on the demonstrations and your research, address the following:
- Define categorical perception. Differentiate between identification and discrimination.
- Explain whether your personal experimental results for both demonstrations follow patterns similar to the predicted experimental results.
- In many situations, you may be forced to make categorical judgments. Name a job in which someone has to categorize people or things that actually fall on a continuum. Describe the categorization this person would have to make.
- Describe your views on why it is useful to have categorical speech perception.
- Experience and training can affect your ability to make perceptual discriminations. Explain whether you agree or disagree with this statement.
Support your answers with adequate reasoning and scholarly research and references.
Write a 2–3-page paper in Word format. Be sure to include a title page and a reference page. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Defined categorical perception and differentiated between identification and discrimination.||
|Explained whether your personal experimental results for both demonstrations follow patterns similar to the predicted experimental results.||
|Identified a job that requires categorization of people or things that actually fall on a continuum and described the categorization that has to be made.||
|Described your opinion on why it is useful to have categorical speech perception.||
|Explained your opinion on whether experience and training can affect your ability to make perceptual discriminations.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.|